July 1, 2014

Twelve pounds and growing!




First weeks with Vixey have flown by faster than I expected. She is already 3 months old. A lot has happened since Vixey first came to us and I’m not talking only about her growing way too fast! But growing she really has done. She is all legs, ears and teeth right now and weighed a little over 12 lb at 13 weeks! A little devil running around the house, grabbing plants and shoes and mail while just passing by. Of course there’s been many great developments too. The most wonderful one is that Vanilla figured out that I “bought her a new toy”. Every day she and Vixey play around the house and the yard for hours, making my life so much easier. While Vanilla is playing the babysitter I can concentrate on work and other things I neglected for the first two weeks Vixey was around. After their morning play is done there is several heavenly quiet hours of three pups snoring around the house! Got to love their cute faces!

Photo by Maria Järvinen




Photo by Maria Järvinen
Training wise I’ve been trying to be more organized with Vixey than I was with Vanilla. Well. Obviously I didn’t know as much back then either. Right now one of our main goals is to extend the time in sit, laying down or standing. I’m using the clicker pretty much with all of Vixey’s training and it seems to be working really well. I’ve been also trying to get more and more away from the luring technique and add more of what’s called free shaping. It’s hard because I’ve done luring my whole life and I can feel myself being a little impatient sometimes when I wait for Vixey to figure out what is wanted. It would be SO easy to just show her and be done with it! On the other hand when she finally does the results are amazing! Also this will make us achieve the greater goal of Vixey learning to learn and offer different behaviors herself instead of waiting for me to show her what to do. I think this will be very helpful later on in everything else we do. I would love to hear some experiences of this though from people? Have you tried free shaping and has it been better?

On the socialization part Vixey has not met quite as many dogs as I’d hope she would’ve by now. She’s probably met around 15 different dogs and luckily none of the experiences have been bad. Some have not been very much into her but Vixey’s been pretty good at respecting them when they tell her to stay off their face. I’m still looking to finding some playmates for her even though there is a lot less pressure now that she and Vanilla are such good buddies. On the other hand Vixey has been traveling and going around with us a ton meeting many different people. We even did a 5 day trip to San Diego. The 7 hour car drive both ways went great, she was asleep pretty much the whole time. She loved playing in the grassy yard all day long and I’m sure coming back to the hot desert was a small disappointment! Vixey has also been to Apache Lake twice here in Arizona and last time she already figured out how to swim on her own! And long ways too! At 11 weeks old. I was pretty breath taken. I can’t wait for her to have all her vaccines so I can take her to our boat in Mexico and introduce her to the ocean. She has also become quite the mountain climber on our frequent visits to Mt. Lemmon. She runs after the big dogs as if she was born in a high alpine pine forest! 



 My plan for the next couple of weeks is to increase training a little bit and concentrate on recall, playing skills and some agility foundation work. She’s really good with toys with almost a natural fetch and she has a really good release from anything that’s in her mouth already so I’m hoping to add toys to her reward selection soon in a more structured manner. I’m so excited to go to our very first agility foundation training session at the end of the month! I’m sure Vixey is too since so far she has mainly been watching Vanilla being trained and she is not very happy with that situation :). Many things to learn before then though!

Here's a couple photos of Vixey since she was about 9 weeks old to today!

Photo by Maria Järvinen

Photo by Maria Järvinen
Photo by Maria Järvinen
Photo by Maria Järvinen
Photo by Maria Järvinen





No comments:

Post a Comment